This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Transformers: Dark of the Moon--my review

          I don't review movies too often on this blog, but after seeing this film I felt compelled to say something about it since I had been kind of looking forward to seeing it.   This is the review I put on Amazon and I thought I'd share it here.




Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
Price: $24.99



1.0 out of 5 stars My Wife Fell Asleep and I Wish I Had 

I'll give this movie 5 stars for special effects, but who cares. Talk about overkill. This is for the video game crowd who can stand to play for hours on end. If you want a similar thrill as this movie gives but not take 2 1/2 hours to do it you could try to down a fifth of tequila real fast or jump off of a tall building and land on your head.

The effects are spectacular, the acting is very good, production values all top quality, and the soundtrack music reminds you when you should feel sad, excited, tense, or whatever. The problem is I didn't feel much of anything except really bored.

My favorite part of the movie was the ending--or should I say, when it ended. Oh man, I couldn't wait for this film to end. But compulsive as I am to watch a film all the way through, I stayed to the end. What a waste.

Yeah, this is the kind of film the makes you want to stand up and cheer. When it was over I jumped up and cheered, "Yay! It's over at last!"

The things lacking in this movie are good story and heart. It's the same old song that we've heard before and it's not one you want to sing along with. Maybe if they'd saved a hundred million or so and made the film about an hour and a half shorter and then distributed the wealth of what they'd saved to people who needed it, the world would have been a better place and the film makers and investors would have still made a ton of money off of it.

If you haven't seen this film yet and decide to do so, you can't say I didn't warn you. Sometimes people think they just have to suffer the torture to see what it's like for themselves. Ouch--my head hurts. 


         Did you see Transformers: Dark of the Moon?   What do you think of special effects laden films?  What is your preference: amazing special effects or good story?



Enhanced by Zemanta

24 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm not a huge Transformers fan in the slightest, to the extent I always stay away from watching the films and this review has done very little to entice me into watching for sure. Wishing you'd fell asleep just completely sums it up for me Lee, thanks for watching this and reviewing so I'll never have to buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review Lee, I take it you didn't like it much.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep load of crap it was, story beats affects any day of the week, which is why the more technology we get the more movies suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there's a place for special effects in certain kinds of movies and story lines but it's all about balance.

    It's funny, because my husband and I will watch a good movie that has special effects, etc. and then we'll watch a good movie that has no special effects and just pure excellent acting and writing and we're reminded how the power of that alone can be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a 50-50 feeling about this show..not so good..but not that bad..
    I'm not one who goes for special effects shows..but there were some movies with special effects that are great..so I guess it's all about the story line (plot)..the actors (new actor who can act really well or an A-list actor who doesn't really fit the role can affect the outcome of the show)..& a whole lots of other things to make a good movie..not just the special effects..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me just say that I'm pretty sure I saw the movie and I can't remember one thing about it. So I probably agree with you. My son, who grew up playing with transformers, loved it.

    Thanks and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen Transformers and will not suffer through it. But, recently I watched Troll Hunters and it scared the heeby geebies out of me--in a good way.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matthew -- I recall enjoying the first Transformers movie and I didn't think the 2nd was as bad as a lot of critics rated it, but 3 was too much of a cool thing.

    Yvonne -- I always feel badly when I put my wife through a movie she doesn't like much.

    Pat -- EFX are pretty neat, but story is the real thing that makes a movie really enjoyable and lasting in my memory.

    Madeline--Can't add much to that. You've expressed the way I feel.

    Gray-- I did thing the actors in T3 were pretty good and the fx were top notch, but the balance was not there.

    thea -- I haven't seen many movies that I've remembered lately.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa --- Transformers is mostly boys fare I guess. Haven't heard of Trollhunters.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in a season of rarely going to the movies, and this would definitely be one that I would bypass, based on the title alone.

    But, there is something out there for everyone, as it should be.

    Did you suffer through it so that you could fairly review it? Or was it like being determined to get through an awful book?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I didn't really like the first Transformers movie, so I haven't seen the rest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I'm going to see a movie (which may happen once every ten years) I would prefer a story I can get involved in and maybe one or two special effects that enhance the story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't see it yet, and am sort of avoiding it since I thought the second one in the series was stupid.

    Thanks for the warning though. I think I'll give this one a skip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed it! Three and a half stars maybe? SO much better than the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only seen the first one. Which I enjoyed. I keep meaning to watch the other two, but just haven't because they haven't been that exciting to me. I'll still watch them, but can't guarantee that I won't fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate when a movie doesn't live up to the hype. I know my kids (who don't play video games) enjoyed it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Didn't see it, didn't plan to. Still don't plan to :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wasn't planning to see it, and now I sure won't. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The movie industry seems to think we are stupidly satisfied with special effects with no real story. Such a shame.
    Great post!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lee-

    I never could get past the fact that this is a movie about a toy.

    I guess they have run through the fodder for comic book movies...and they already did G.I. Joe as a movie (the sequel will be about how he gets the Kung Fu grip).

    Coming next summer-The Trials Of The Cabbage Patch Kids

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  21. Guess I'm going to be the guy kind of on the other side of the fence. I think this movie was way better than the second but neither was close to the first. I wasn't crazy about the young woman in this movie and the bad guy... well, we all knew he was going to get double crossed.

    One doesn't go to this type of movie expecting Citizen Kane. I wanted explosions and wild stuff happening, and I got that. At least this time it had a premise, and even if some of that stuff was way out of proportion, hey, it's fantasy anyway.

    Enjoyed this way more than Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. The first one was an instant classic. At least DOTM was better than the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In answer to a couple thoughts expressed above:
    Yes, once I start something (book, movie, or whatever) I usually see it through to end just to get the full effect--somethings there is a end that justifies the preceding agony.

    I will give credit to the quality aspects of the film. The special effects are top notch. It was too much of good things coming too quickly in too big of doses.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haw! I think your title pretty much says it all, doesn't it? You wishing you had fallen asleep reminds me of when I saw Sleepless in Seattle and a kid in the theatre vomited. I wanted to stand up and say "My sentiments exactly!"

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee