This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Using Your God-given Talents to Serve God

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
Philippians 2:5-7 (NIV)


           Here is one of the verses of the Bible that tells us that we should strive to be like Christ.  As humans we tend to be goal-driven.  Even the most lack-luster lazy person alive has basic goals such as finding the next meal, locating a safe comfortable place to sleep, and having some rudimentary plan of survival.  Most of us go beyond basic instincts of necessity and set goals pertaining to our educations, careers, and families.  In these verses we are given a Godly goal for which to strive--to put others above us and to serve them.

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)


             Jesus Christ is the incarnation of God in human form.  If Jesus is God how can we be expected to be like Him?  Because Jesus came to this earth as a human--He fully embodies all of the attributes of God, but in a human body with the same limitations as ours.  Likewise, we are created in the image of God.   Like Jesus, we have been instilled with the abilities to serve God--He gave us these talents or abilities and allows us to decide how we want to use them or not use them. 

We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.   If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
Romans 12:6-8 (NIV)




      There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit.  There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
      Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.  All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (NIV)


          Here are two passages that give us some examples of some of the gifts God has given us that we can use in serving God.   We should become aware of what our gifts are.  Just like we may assess our skills and abilities in trying to find our career niche and pursue educational training based on that, we can also determine what are our gifts for serving God.  We don't have to be educated in a particular field of knowledge or have years of experience.  What do others tell you that you are good at doing?  Ask your pastor or others whose opinions you value.  Earnestly pray and search out how you can best serve God.

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)

        When you discover your talents, gifts, or skills--whatever you want to call them-- find ways to use them to serve God and do God's work.  Look for the places where you can be used.  Do it in good faith and because you love the Lord.  Do not try to seek personal gain or do things for your recognition.  You are in service and all should be for the glory of God.

So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
2 Timothy 1:8-9 (NIV)




16 comments:

  1. Once again you get your message across very clearly. Thanks for a wondeful post.

    Have a peacedul Sunday
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want the recognition and personal gain, does that make you a bad person? Or does it make you human?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the visit Lee I don't have 78 records, I belong to a website that supplies the music I play on my blog, the only version of Bird dog they had was on a 78 record.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this post Lee. I believe that every skill, ability,or talent comes from God and whatever work we do it's an opportunity to be in service for Him. God's work is not just in church or ministry settings. Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you have to say.
    Good stuff bro.
    Use what God has gifted us with for His glory...by faith in Love.

    Be blessed. Be a blessing.
    DJ GlenMC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post!

    I stopped by today to tell you that I linked to you over on my blog today. I'm looking forward to following your musical meme on Monday.

    Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really nice post. I think we can all find a talent to serve God and do God's work. If we care enough. It's a lot harder than you may think to find out WHAT your talent is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked this post. And I agree--our talents and gifts should be used to edify others and the serve a greater good.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    http://jostorm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thanks to all who visited and commented on my Sunday Bible post.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good scripture. I need to remember to pass it on to my children throughout the years as they figure out what their gifts are and how best to use them to serve and to live a life of fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is exactly what I needed and I vowed that I WILL NOT sell my God-given talents otherwise God will cut my blessings and He will not be the center of my attention anymore. I love and thank God for blessing me with many talents, skills, and gifts but whatever I do, I ONLY do it all for His glory!!!

    Peace be with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post. I enjoyed your interview by Chrys.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee